The start of the potato harvest

So what’s a grand parent to do with young boys who only want to watch TV and play computer games.  Well, good thing I have a garden and potatoes that need to be dug.  The vines on my Banana fingerling potatoes have died back and it’s time to harvest them.

Although it’s tough to make out in the above picture, each hill of potatoes is about a foot apart and there are two rows planted in my four foot wide raised beds. The potatoes were sprouted in the house for a couple of weeks, planted in early April and side dressed according to the recommendations in GE 119 Potatoes.

I managed to get Connor and Tyler to dig both rows (20 feet) this morning and the yield was pretty amazing.  The boys enjoyed themselves and every time we dug up a big hill, they would yell “Jackpot”

The container we were putting the potatoes in weighted 50 pounds.  Since I planted 5 pounds of seedling Bananas between two rows, that means a 10 to one yield.  Not to shabby.

I also purchased purchase 5 pounds of Austrian Crescent fingerlings and 3 pounds of Carola, which haven’t died back yet  If the other varieties yield as well as the Bananas, I’ll have lots of potatoes for the family and some for Grass Roots, our local Howard County shelter

One Comment on “The start of the potato harvest

1. Just pure brilliance. I am so impressed with the grandparents. I have two girls and only my parents can get them in the garden. They both enjoy going into the garden, but not ours. As soon as I get to my parents, they are off in the garden trying to help their granddad. And harvesting is one of their favorites. I love potatoes too. I love the red quality though, but do not mind the banana fingerling potato too. I put some of my favorite recipes in a couple of articles too and the benefit of the red potatoes. So I hope you’ll be planting some of these next year.