Going Through Phases

Hello, Everyone! I just have to cross-post a blog I did on my own blog site. It’s about peppers and it’s pretty neat. So…here it is:

Hello Garden Gals and Guys! I was meandering in my garden this morning just looking at everything and I noticed that one of my pepper plants has peppers in various phases of growth. It’s kind of neat to look at, so I thought I would share it with you.

This is a poblano/ancho pepper plant. It’s a chile pepper variety. When used green it’s referred to as poblano. When it is allowed to ripen to red and dried, it is referred to as an ancho. It’s mildly hot, with a rich and mellow flavor. They were first cultivated in Mexico City and grow to be quite large, so you need to space these plants at least three to four feet apart.

OK on to the pictures.

You see to the left the pepper starting to form. They begin a bit tinier than this, but there were no tinier buds on this plant. Bummer.

Next, the bud will flower. On a side note, this is when I add a tablespoon of epsom salts around the base of the plant and scratch it gently into the soil. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate which help your plant take in the nutrients in the soil more efficiently and also lead to much bigger fruits. I’ve been using this little trick for several years now. 

Here’s a great shot of the inside of the flower, complete with a little ant that wanted its 15 minutes of fame. You can see the pepper forming on the inside. This is my most favorite shot.

Here is a small pepper. You can see that the bud has lost its flower as the pepper has gotten bigger. 

And here is a slightly bigger pepper on the same plant. 

I feel so blessed to have been able to capture this moment in my garden for you. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. I will be sure to take some pictures as they ripen.
Until next time….

Happy gardening!

2 Comments on “Going Through Phases

1. This video shows how to pinch early pepper buds and blooms to direct plant resources into strong root, stem, and leaf growth. This will give you greater, season-long harvests: