Rome-anesco

MG Robin Ritterhoff, who has been on assignment in Rome*, took this photo at a street vegetable market:

Just in case you, like me, feel the need to look at evidence that it’s not freezing cold and snowy everywhere.

Has anyone successfully grown the Romanesco cauliflower/broccoli? It’s so architecturally beautiful.

*Not for GIEI. I wish we had foreign correspondents.

5 Comments on “Rome-anesco

1. Hi! I'm from Italy, northern part, and no, it's not really the weather cold. I have started spring works on my organic garden, just clean and put in place of course, it's not SO hot temperatures. This year I will try to grow broccoli and cauliflower, as well as mizuna, pack choi and kohlrabi.

2. Good luck with your garden, Gabriel. Here, it's about -11C (11F) at the moment, so anything even vaguely springlike sounds good to me.

3. In response to your Q, Theresa Mycek, grower/manager of Colchester Farm CSA, grew some very nice romanesco last summer, and harvested it in early-mid fall. Its flavor is mild; it's very nice raw — in salad, dip, a snack — as well as steamed with a little gorgonzola on it, lemon, mustard-and-garlic sauce, or in soup.. good stuff.

4. I tried to grow romanesco last year. I started the seeds indoors and transplanted in spring, probably April. I got great big plants, over 3 feet tall, but they never grew heads. My regular broccoli, started and planted at the same time, grew as expected. Any thoughts on why nothing came of them?

5. Hi Larry – I hear from Kent Phillips, who grew it successfully, that it takes longer to get to maturity than regular broccoli, so that might have been the issue – not enough time before summer weather. Kent grew his starting in July for fall harvest.