Root of roots, and sport of sports

Bob Nixon’s rutabagas

Sometimes you get hit with the realization that there is a lot in this world you just don’t know about, and that is how I felt yesterday when listening to a CD by Joe Crookston which includes the song “The Rutabaga Curl.” It seems that for the last 16 years, the International Rutabaga Curling Championship has been held each December in Ithaca, NY, to celebrate the last day of the farmer’s market (at which rutabagas, among many other items, are for sale).

I don’t know how I managed to get this far in life without being aware of this event, but I’m glad I am now.

If you would like to be just as informed, visit the official event website, watch a video of the winning toss from several years ago, listen to Crookston’s song, and also take in the Rutabaga Chorus (to the tune and with the spirit of Handel’s “Hallelujah Chorus”). This is an awesome sporting phenomenon, celebrating an awesome vegetable.

For the record, Bob’s rutabagas are not nearly round enough to work as curling stones, though I’m sure they tasted great.

2 Comments on “Root of roots, and sport of sports

1. Little did I ever think that there was such a wonderful anthem called the “Rutabaga Chorus.” It's hard to get a handle on that! Love it. For the record. the rutabagas in the photo were young and their kin did fill out and become almost perfectly round and as solid as a duckpin bowling ball. I gave a medium-sized one to my physical therapist for their Christmas dinner. She later reported, with a smile, that her husband had used his chainsaw to cut it into pieces and that they loved their first taste of rutabaga. Root of root …. Root of root … Ru-ta-ba-ga! Yum!