Have some baby plants

I mean, if other people can post kittens and infant hedgehogs all over the internet, I can provide some cute widdle brassicas, right?

purple pak choi
Red Russian kale
EvenStar Landrace collards
broccoli raab

This is just a reminder that you, too, can have many pots full of seedlings of fall greens taking up space under lights in your house in the middle of the summer, long past the point when your family thought maybe it was safe to start using those shelves again.  Well, ha.

Or you can try putting the pots outside, in a spot that gets shade in the afternoon.  (I have a brassica-eating squirrel problem, so I try to avoid that.)  Or you can start the seeds directly in the ground (in the spot where your tomato plant died of ridiculous amounts of early blight, or your squash plant fell victim to a vine borer).  Just keep the bed continually moist and preferably shaded, and be ready to put floating row cover over the seedlings, because the harlequin bugs will be active until frost.
A few of the more veggie-savvy garden centers already have fall transplants available, which are much larger than mine and will give you a head start.  Just remember that it’s likely to get hotter again before it gets cooler.  But it really isn’t too late to start your own plants from seed (if you can find seeds.  Note for next year: think ahead and buy for fall in the spring).
I do have to say that the current relatively cool summer weather is making it much easier to think about fall planting.  Usually at this time of year I’m convinced that autumn will never arrive and we’re all going to succumb to a heat-and-
humidity apocalypse, that is if I have the energy to be that dramatic.  Note the open window in the kale picture?  What’s up with that, in August?  I’m not complaining, mind you, and I’m sure the little plants like the fresh air too.

2 Comments on “Have some baby plants

1. Erica,

Prior to leaving on vacation I planted premium crop and Romanesco (veronica F1) broccoli and snow crown and Graffiti cauliflower. Some will be ready mid October and the rest in early November.

I also planted a last sowing of beets and carrots, some early turnips and some early spinach. It's certainly time to plant some fall crops. Everyone should remember that when planting fall crops, they need to determine if the crop is half hearty (survives a light frost) or hearty like broccoli (survives temps down to 28 degrees). If half hearty, use the first frost date in your area and subtract the day to maturity and 14 days for the so called short day factor. Full hearty vegetables will survive a hard frost an can be planted mid August to yield in November.

But all said, early August is the time to start planting fall crops. Just remember that one needs to add additional organic material if available and additional nutrients like nitrogen.

2. When you have planted your new plants and pulled any new weeds, apply mulch to a depth of 2 to 4 inches. Besides keeping new weed populations to a minimum, mulch keeps the soil cool during the hot summer days and aids in moisture retention.