Edible rainbows

I love eating what comes out of my garden at this time of year, but I also enjoy how pretty it is.  Here’s part of what we had for dinner last night:

Disclaimer: I didn’t grow the pepper (though I have now started harvesting ripe orange mini-bells), but I did grow the tomatoes and the Spring Swallow cucumber, and one of our last remaining beets was used to make the beet hummus, along with a couple of farmer’s market ones.  It’s usually an even brighter pink, but using a white beet along with the red ones tones it down.  Slightly.

My son made the hummus; he got the recipe from Vegetarian Times and it’s become a specialty which I am happy to contribute toward because it’s yummy.  Here’s the recipe:

Beet and Lentil Hummus

(makes 1 1/2 cups)

1/2 cup lentils, rinsed and soaked overnight
2 medium beets, peeled and cut into chunks
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 Tbs tahini paste
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp salt

Drain and rinse lentils.  Cook lentils and beets in 1 cup water, bringing to a boil and then simmering for 15-20 minutes or until all water is gone and both are tender.

Finely chop garlic in food processor and mix with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and salt.  Add cooked lentils and beets, blend till smooth, season to taste.

Note: the lentils and beets could be cooked separately, which would take a little longer but eliminate the necessity to soak the lentils or peel the beets before cooking.

Serve this with anything that provides a treat to the eyes, particularly green or yellow vegetables or blue tortilla chips.  Or whatever you want.  Mmm.