More pictures of destruction

I was so hoping that perhaps a little miracle would have happened during the night. Or that perhaps the tomato plant was going to hold on long enough for the tomatoes to ripen. But in my heart I knew better; sure enough the Cherokee Purple had bitten the dust.

This is the only sign of disease on the entire plant

So out came the clippers and I removed my 2nd plant in two days. I disinfected the clippers, got new gloves, cleaned my shoes and sprayed everything else with copper.

Totally clogged up vascular system

Following Jon’s comments (see previous post), it looks like it is Southern Blight. It says plants only get infected during the hottest part of the summer.What is “hottest”? Above 90F above 80F. I need to look up how this pathogen works and how I can stop it. I guess I better spray the peppers as well.

What could have been

I must confess, in an act of desperation, I went to our local gardening center and got three of their healthiest looking, left over tomato plants. In theory, they should still be able to produce tomatoes before our first frost (Oct. 18). If nothing else, this will be an interesting experiment.

What does this all mean for next year? Well clearly, this particular bed is going to be off limits for tomato and potato plants for quite some time to come. Does this mean I need to plant not 1, but 2 plants of each variety that I want to grow? Do I need to plant two separate patches, far away from each other. I am not sure I have room for all this.

I would love some advice of people who may have been in a similar situation!!!

2 Comments on “More pictures of destruction

1. I have suffered complete devastation of my tomato crop as has many of my garden neighbors in the Chesapeake Ranch Estates community gardens in Lusby, MD. Trying for a 2nd round as you are but don't have much hope. I am also trying to grow some plants at home as I feel like our community gardens have jumped the shark this season with infestations of disease and insect pests.

2. I am so sorry to hear all that. I totally know what you mean. One of my school gardens has produced more than 1000 lbs of veggies for the past two year. We will not even come close this year. When I walked into the school garden this morning I realized that all the squash plants were dead; we have barely had a harvest from them. I am betting on a fantastic fall harvest of anything I can think of

So far, this has been a seriously tough growing season. I am just glad I am not a farmer and that there is a store across the road.

Oh Well, lots of great lessons learned this year; I am already planning for next year!