One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato, A Bushel

Well, I got some volunteers (left to right, Tyler, Grace and Connor) to help me harvest my red Noland potatoes this morning.  My help is built low to the ground, which makes it easy for them to pick up the spuds.  Besides, as far as they’re concerned, it’s like looking for buried treasure.  Best of all, they get paid in blueberries and raspberries which are plentiful this year.

Here’s a picture of the happy potato pickers.

The sprouted seed potatoes were planted in late March.  My raised beds are four feet across and I put in two rows about 18 inches apart.  The seed potatoes were planted on 12 inch centers with the seed in the opposite row being staggered by six inches. This method gives the potatoes room to grow. The potatoes were hilled once in late April and again in early May.  Total row length was 12 feet for a total of 24 potatoes. 

As you can see from the picture, the kids picked almost a bushel.  I hope they come back again tomorrow, because I have another 12 feet of Yukon Gold to harvest.  Most of these potatoes will be used during the summer for potato salad and early fall for mashed potatoes.  I have planted a fall crop of Yukon Gold which keep in my basement for most of the winter without sprouting.  I purchased my fall seed potatoes at the same time I purchased my spring potatoes and just refrigerated them to keep them from sprouting.  About two weeks prior to planting in early July, I removed them from the refrigerator and let the sprout in my basement.

One Comment on “One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato, A Bushel

1. Kent,

I remember Daddy getting such a kick out of us kids digging for potatoes like we were searching for gold! Then he would say, “A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck!” Which we would always gladly supply to him!

Thanks for the memories 🙂