Sweet Potato Pie

I love to grow and eat sweet potatoes. This year I sprouted plants from Japanese red sweet potatoes I bought in an Asian supermarket. I am particularly fond of this type because it has a dense texture and rich flavor. I planted seven plants in two sloped areas of my garden. I marveled and whacked at the rampant vines, cooked up leaves and shoot tips from time to time, and waited… and waited. I learned that they are LATE to mature compared to other types.

When I finally dug them on October 7 I was surprised at the yield- about 65 lbs. not including those I sliced with the spade. My next thought was “I need to make a pie.” I was in luck because a Penzeys Spice catalog with a sweet potato pie recipe had just arrived! Family and co-workers gave it two thumbs up.

BilliJo’s Down-Home Sweet Potato Pie
(I got this recipe from a Penzeys Spices catalog; http://www.penzeys.com/)
2  C. cooked sweet potatoes (two medium-large sweet potatoes)
¼  C. (half-stick) butter
1  C. sugar (or one 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk can)
1  15-oz. can evaporated milk
1  egg
½  tsp. cinnamon
½  tsp. nutmeg
¼  tsp. allspice
½  tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Blend the sweet potatoes until smooth (I use an electric mixer). Add butter and blend. Add sugar and evaporated milk and blend. Add egg and spices and blend well. Pour into pre-baked pie shells and bake until firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean- about 45 minutes. Cut and serve when cool.
No Roll Pie Crust (for two crusts)
3  C. flour
2  tsp. sugar
1  tsp. salt
1  C. vegetable oi
1/3  C. milk
Put all ingredients in large bowl. Mix gently to combine. Divide in half and place each half in a regular 9-in. pie pan. Pat out evenly. Push the pastry up the sides and form an edge with your thumb and finger. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 15 minutes. Remove, cool, and fill. Note: I omitted the pre-baking and the pie turned out great!

6 Comments on “Sweet Potato Pie

1. Everyone at the Home and Garden Information Center can attest that this pie is a winner! The crust was especially good…and I'm not a crust lover. It had little crunchy bits in it that was a perfect compliment to the spicy and creamy goodness of the sweet potato filling. Thanks, Jon!

2. Wow, Jon – pie sounds great and so does your harvest. I grew Japanese red last year and hardly got any. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough!

3. I thought I might be in for an “all vine, tiny harvest” kind of crop. Starting in mid-August I'd dig around to check root size and find only small ones. They seemed to have made most of their growth in Sept. It's interesting that some stores that carry these call them “Japanese white” while others label them “Japanese red.”

4. What a great photo of the pie, Jon, but did you have to take such a large piece? When we lived in New England in the last century, “Sweet Potato Pie” was a popular offering at the local stores in late fall. We've got to try your recipe!

5. yum. boy am I regretful that I simply FORGOT about planting sweet potatoes this year. never again while everyone's enjoying sweet potato pie right now!