Seed Catalog: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

We don’t have a lot of seed companies in the Mid-Atlantic region.  There’s Meyer Seed in Baltimore, whom I’ve dealt with only peripherally, and Landreth in Pennsylvania (I’ll write about them in another post).  And then there’s Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, in earthquake-central Mineral, VA.

What makes Southern Exposure different from all those other purveyors of organic-friendly, open-pollinated seed?  For us Marylanders, it’s location, location, location.  They make a point of emphasizing seed that’s tested and does well in the Mid-Atlantic.  Varieties that can deal with our climate are marked with a sunny little symbol in the catalog.  There’s a low-key, friendly-neighbor feeling to the recycled-paper catalog illustrated with both photos and color drawings.  The selection is ample enough to make you take time over decisions; the descriptions are good; and the prices are reasonable.  ($2.50 for that Brandywine Sudduth’s Strain tomato, with at least 40 seeds in the packet.)  This is a good place to find lots of choices for lima beans, Southern peas, okra, collards and other specialties of the South, as well as plenty of tomatoes and… well, just about everything else too.

Look for the extra-winter-hardy greens developed by Brett Grohsgal of Even’ Star Farm in St. Mary’s County, MD.

Cooperatively-owned Southern Exposure sponsors the Monticello Heritage Harvest Festival each September – a great event!

Notes:  (1) You can order a print catalog through most of the catalog websites (or in some cases, download a PDF version).  (2) Mention of specific products, brands, or companies is not intended as an endorsement by the University of Maryland.  (3) I do not receive consideration of any kind for mentioning products, brands, or companies in my postings.  The seed catalogs I review are those of sellers from which I have previously bought seeds.

5 Comments on “Seed Catalog: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

1. I love Southern Exposure! I have had better success with their seed than any others in my Silver Spring garden. They have a fantastic selection of herbs and flowers. I grow several varieties of cotton each year. It's a beautiful plant, and SE includes an interesting history of the seed and cultivation.

2. Seeing as I just picked some parsley and turnip greens out of my (unprotected) community garden plot today, I'm VERY interested in the winter-hardy greens selection. I am really going to try to remember next summer to get my act together for the fall/winter planting. It is fantastic to be able to get some fresh greens in January!