Your favorite vegetable cookbooks!

Nowadays it seems that if I have a vegetable ingredient and I want to find a recipe to use it, I can just do a search on the Internet and find a dozen interesting possibilities in five minutes.  However, there’s still something about having an actual cookbook on hand that I can bring into the kitchen and spill on, and that I can trust because I’ve tried the author’s recipes.

Let’s share in the comments.  Do you still use printed cookbooks, or are you all about the web?  What’s your favorite cookbook for vegetable recipes?  Do you have a favorite recipe from that book?  Is there a blog or website you prefer for online recipes?

I’ll start.  It’s hard to choose, but the cookbook I turn to most when I’m trying to use up garden produce is Marian Morash’s The Victory Garden Cookbook, an adjunct to the old PBS show.  It’s organized by primary ingredient, so you can look under spinach and find all the ways to use it, from the simple to the complex, with suggestions for other leafy greens that might substitute.  Probably my favorite recipe is Sweet Potato-Chocolate Cake, a marbled bundt-pan cake with cooked and pureed sweet potato all through the batter, half of which is flavored with melted chocolate.  I will probably make this for our annual MG holiday party (unless I make chocolate-covered pomegranate seeds.  Any MoCo MGs dropping by can vote).

Alas, it is out of print, but used copies can be found – Bookfinder tells me it can be had for as little as $16.41.  Or you could check libraries.

You’re next!

8 Comments on “Your favorite vegetable cookbooks!

1. Anything written by the Cook's Illustrated/ America's Test Kitchen editors is always a winner. Tender by Nigel Slater is unbelievably gorgeous, but I've cooked very little from it yet. The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters is also very user-friendly and inspirational.

2. The Practical Produce Cookbook: How to Plant, Pick, Prepare and Preserve Produce. It is organized by vegetable so it is a great resource.

I also have an extra copy if anyone would like to buy one. (Thought I lost mine and just had to have another copy. Found mine soon after purchase!)

3. One of my favs is Red, White & Greens: The Italian Way With Vegetables by Faith Willinger. Fairly simple recipes organized by vegetable with lots of fun food and history facts mixed in.

4. Where to start? I guess my favorites are Molly Katzen's “Vegetable dishes I can't live without” (or any Moosewood cookbook for that matter) and “Tastes from Valley to Bluff: the Featherstone Farm Cookbook”, Mi Ae Lipe. It is a ccokbook from a CSA, organized by what vegetables are available in the various seasons. It also includes recipes that use meat/fish/chicken and a large resource section.

5. hmm, good question! Honestly, I think I mostly get recipes i'm interested in trying from magazine subscriptions. I like Bon Appetit a lot. I'm now getting saveur, but not enjoying it as much. I think I mostly go to magazines b/c they offer seasonal recipes along with stories, and also give me lots of recipes from other cultures that are interesting to me.

6. You're right, Wendy; I'd forgotten about magazine recipes. Mother Earth News has had some great recipes too.

Thanks, Jon and Sabine – those are excellent contributions.