August 8: ‘National Sneak Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch Day’

The other day I was talking to my neighbor, telling him about this interesting holiday, conceived by Pennsylvanian Tom Roy. At first he got a puzzled look on his face, and then he had one of those ‘A-HA!’ moments. He proceeded to share with me a story in which some zucchini mysteriously appeared on his doorstep about this time last year. He had checked the video footage from his home security system, but he never could explain what he saw. Now it all made sense, he said. He offered to dig up the old tape for me, which I present some stills for you here:

Here is a still of the ‘scene of the crime’

And here’s what happened next:

Unfortunately, the perpetrator has not been identified, and to date no arrests made. What would be the charge? Littering the neighborhood with overzealous produce? Anyway, is there a statute of limitations on such a crime?

But let this be a warning to you all – over the next day keep on the lookout for sneaky gardeners looking to offload some of their extra summer squash. Or, if you’re of a mind, put on your own disguise and deliver your own ‘gifts’. Just be wary of home security cameras!

August 8 is National Sneak Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch day!

4 Comments on “August 8: ‘National Sneak Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch Day’

1. No no! Not more zucchini! Despite my best efforts today of making: 4 zucchini breads, a double batch of zucchini-apple soup, and a zucchini-pie filling for the freezer (in case of emergency), I still have 6 zucchini left! With more on the way!

Hmmm…maybe I better go find my own scarf, shades, and stealth sneakers…(;

2. Our neighbor gave us a surplus zucchini from their garden. She told us they loved zucchini bread but she had difficulty shredding the zucchini.

My sister's Kitchen Aid mixer has a shredder attachment. We bagged the shredded zucchini in 2 cup packages (we asked what her recipe took) and shared it with them so they could freeze it and use anytime.

MORE zucchini magically appeared on our back porch. WIN/WIN