A garden pledge

Happy new year!!! I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday season and I pray that 2011 will be a prosperous one for us all.

I was thinking about what I could blog about and didn’t want to talk about the seed catalogs that have been dropping through my mail slot every day (even though I LOVE getting them!).

So I started to think what I could write about. I thought about the Grow It Eat It initiative and the classes that have been taught. I remember a lot of people saying “I’m going to start a garden next year” and then it hit me. What would happen if everyone who reads this just helped one person plant a garden–whatever the size–this year? That could possibly be hundreds of gardens started in Maryland!

So here’s my challenge. I even made my own graphic for it! My personal pledge this year is to help at least one person start a garden. It can be a container garden, a small raised bed, or a nice-sized garden (whatever that may be).

There’s no place to sign up, it’s just a personal pledge and I’d love to hear from everyone when they’ve accomplished their goal! I have two people in mind already that have been saying they are going to plant a garden for at least three years.

Is there anyone out there willing to take this pledge with me? I think it’s going to be lots of fun!

So here’s to 2011 and greener gardens for all!

Until next time….happy garden thoughts!

One Comment on “A garden pledge

1. I'm making that pledge for myself! Meaning I'm going to keep my 'own' garden going. Last year was the first year and much of the work will persist for a long time to come – fencing, asparagus beds dug and planted, Egyptian walking onions set out late in fall, chives moved in from the flower bed. I hope all this models the way for someone else and they take inspiration from my handiwork.