Grew it, ate it

Here are a few recipes for the harvest.

First, from Gordon Clark of Montgomery Victory Gardens, a salad to celebrate his first successful attempt at growing muskmelons.

Golden Beet and Melon Salad: Just grate a few golden beets (as if you were making a slaw), throw in a couple of grated carrots, some mint, and then marinate for a couple of hours in a “dressing” of orange juice with a tablespoon of lemon or lime juice. Then, just before serving, chop some melon into bite-sized pieces and mix it in.

It should work with red beets, too, as long as you don’t mind an overall pink tendency to the dish.

My son Nick, who is doing all the cooking while home from college this summer, came up with a side dish/garnish that helps use up our garlic harvest. He calls it “Onions and Garlic in Honey Sauce.”

1-2 tbsp olive or other cooking oil
1 med onion, chopped
About 10 cloves of garlic, halved
2-3 tbsp of honey
1/3 cup white wine
Cinnamon to taste

Heat a medium saucepan and add oil. Add onions and garlic and cook stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes. Add honey, continue cooking 5 minutes. Add wine and let simmer until wine and honey are syrupy. Add cinnamon or other spices as desired.

Nick has also been trying to find new ways to prepare Swiss chard, since I keep bringing it home. We’ve had a number of dishes including the delicious Swiss Chard with Olives and Lemon. He also tried combining steamed chard with sauteed onions and the mint syrup I’d already made from our excess of mint (I’ve been putting it in tea, both hot and iced, and it has many other uses). We decided it was interesting but would be better with some vinegar added.

What new ways to serve up your harvest (or someone else’s, if you have one of those neighbors who puts zucchini on your doorstep) have you found this summer?

4 Comments on “Grew it, ate it

1. wow, sounds fabulous! How was your son using the garlic/wine/honey combo? Sounds like something my husband would enjoy. Perhaps with cheese?

We've been juicing our (small!) supply of beets.

I don't have mint – but will probably grow some next year. Just got back from a week at the beach where I made mojitos every night. That's a GREAT way of using that harvest!

I'm currently harvesting the beginnings of hopefully many peppers. Searching through the canning book for interesting ideas…

2. We had the onions and garlic as a side dish or relish, for putting on top of meat or veggies. With cheese would be good too.

It's good to have some mint around – the trick is not having too much. I need to dry some more, since I'm already running low on what I dried earlier in the summer. Mint tea from freshly dried mint is superb.

Some years I get organized and roast peppers then freeze them (canning also works). This year we have just the right amount for fresh use.