String beans and okra

Well, here it is! My first harvest of the season….string beans! I got a handful of beauties and I think I may cook them up for dinner tonight. In fact, I’m going to find a yummy recipe and then write a blog about it. What fun that is going to be!

Here’s a useful tip about beans. When you see ones that are ready to pull, go ahead and pull them. Harvesting the beans actually stimulates the plant to produce more flowers, which means more beans!

While I was busy picking my beans, I noticed that my okra had some new leaves, so I decided to go and check them out.

Guess what I found while I was being nosy? Yup! Baby okra on the plant! Here’s what okra looks like growing in the garden:

Go ahead….say “awwwww isn’t it cute!” I have never grown okra before so watching it grow is so interesting to me. There are only about seven leaves on the plant, so I wasn’t expecting there to be any fruit on it yet.

A lot of plants set flowers and then the fruit or vegetable grows where the flower is. Well, I’m not sure about other types of okra, but this particular variety does not have flowers. Just leaves.

Here’s one more picture. My hubby, unbeknownst to me, took a picture of me at work in my garden paradise. It gives a great view of my garden from up high. You can see my cucumbers behind me in the cages really starting to take off! I’ve got lots of baby cukes out there. Yummy!

Until next time, garden gals and guys.

Happy gardening!

7 Comments on “String beans and okra

1. What a great photo! I like your garden structure. You could probably train all kinds of things up on those supports.

2. Thanks, Wendy! The whole thing is usually encased in chicken wire and things usually climb up that. But since the rebuild, only the bottom half still has chicken wire. I am training my moonflowers to go up the supports, though!

3. Love the garden… You could try some scarlet runner beans next year… If you like really large dry beans that will help shade your house! We have many plants growing up strings at the front of our house and driveway. They would do well on the sides of your enclosure.

Oh, and no mulch?

4. DivaGardner, I want a cage just like that! I'm growing in my little small garden out back of my rowhouse so I don't think I have the space for a cage your size. But, that looks like it keeps out all the vegetable preditors.

And your string beans are huge, or your hands are small. This is the first year that I have been growing string beans — and while I am picking handfuls everyday, my string beans dont look as large.

5. Urban Green Thumb…I do have small hands. The beans are quite large and there are more that are ready to be picked. Some of my okra is about ready for harvest as well.

As far as the cage, I am glad that you like it! If you are handy you could probably make a smaller scale one to fit your back yard. It does keep out the squirrels and rabbits!

6. I may have over done it with the liquid deer fence. Is it possible to over spray because I would like to start harvesting my string beans tomorrow morning.