Ba-a-a-aby plants

I love this time of year, both getting the garden ready outside when the weather cooperates, and spending hours inside getting seeds started, exclaiming in pleasant surprise when they actually germinate and grow, and just visiting with my baby plants. Have you got enough water? Too much? Are you close enough to the light? Is it time to put you in a bigger pot or give you some fertilizer?

Yes, I am one of those people who has trouble thinning seedlings. Why do you ask?

Here’s some of what’s taking up space in my laundry room and bathroom right now:

Basil seedlings, with the first true leaves just showing between the cotyledons. The differing shapes of each type of leaf never cease to amaze me.

Kale and Chinese cabbage seedlings, about ready to be hardened off outside; we should be able to plant them in the demo garden next week.

Sea kale (Crambe maritima), a perennial member of the Brassica family. I’m so glad I got it to germinate this year; the secret is removing the hard seed cover before planting. More on this plant later in the season!

Cosmos, because we need flowers in our vegetable garden too. There’s a striking difference between seed leaf and true leaf for you.

A fish pepper seedling, not yet showing variegation in leaf color.

Hey! Only cute baby PLANTS allowed here!